Do you know how much beer is in a keg? If not, don’t worry – you’re not alone! A lot of people don’t know the answer to this question. In this comprehensive guide, we will break it all down for you. We will discuss how much beer is in a keg, what are the different types of kegs, as well as how much beer each one holds.
So whether you’re a business owner who wants to know how much beer to order for your next party or just someone who’s curious about this topic, read on for all the details about how much beer is in a keg!
What is a Keg?
Before we know how much beer is in a keg, let’s first understand what a keg is. A keg is a cylindrical container that holds beer. It is usually made of stainless steel and has a tap on one end so that the beer can be dispensed. Kegs come in various sizes, from small party-sized ones to large commercial ones. Beer lovers should also know what is root beer made from.
Why is a Keg Used?
A keg is used because it is a convenient way to store and dispense beer. It keeps the beer fresh and carbonated for a long time, making it perfect for parties or events where you want to serve beer for a large group of people.
How Much Beer is in a Keg?
Now that we know what a keg is and why it’s used, let’s get to the main question – how much beer is in a keg?
As we mentioned before, kegs come in different sizes. The most common type of keg is the half-barrel keg, which is also known as a full-size keg or just a barrel. This type of keg holds 15.5 gallons, or 124 pints, of beer. You can also say that a keg can store 165 bottles of 12 oz beer.
Another common type of keg is the quarter-barrel keg, which is also known as a pony keg. This smaller-sized keg holds about half as much beer as a barrel – or around seven and a half gallons. That means it can store 62 pints or 82 bottles of 12 oz beer.
For events or parties where you need even less beer, there are also mini-kegs. These tiny containers can hold about five liters of beer, which is the equivalent of around 13 and a half pints or 17 bottles of 12 oz beer. If you don’t have the necessity of a keg, then you can use the best beer mug for freezing your beer.
How Long Does a Keg Last?
Now that we’ve answered the question of how much beer is in a keg, let’s talk about how long it will last. If you’re having a party with 50 people, for example, and you want to make sure there is enough beer for everyone, a half-barrel keg should be plenty. But if you’re not sure how much beer your guests will drink or if you want to have some leftovers, you may want to get a quarter-barrel keg instead.
As a general rule of thumb, one half-barrel keg will serve around 165 people (if each person has two beers). A quarter-barrel keg will serve around 82 people (if each person has two beers). And a mini keg will serve around 34 people (if each person has two beers).
Of course, these are just estimates. The actual number of people a keg can serve will depend on how much beer each person drinks.
Types of Kegs
There are a total of 6 different types of kegs. Here is how much beer is in keg of each type:
- Half barrel kegs: Also known as full-size kegs or just barrels, these are the most common type of kegs. As we mentioned before, they hold 15. 5 gallons (124 pints) of beer.
- Quarter barrel kegs: Also known as pony kegs, these smaller-sized kegs hold about half as much beer as a barrel – or around seven and a half gallons. That means it can store 62 pints or 82 bottles of 12 oz beer.
- Sixtel kegs: These are also known as sixth barrels and they hold about five gallons (40 pints) of beer. They are often used by restaurants and bars that want to offer a variety of beers on tap without having to commit to a full keg of any one beer.
- Cornelius kegs: Also called corny kegs or soda kegs, these were originally used to store soft drinks. However, they have become popular among homebrewers because they are easy to clean and sterilize. They can hold about five gallons (40 pints) of beer.
- Mini kegs: These tiny containers can hold about five liters of beer, which is the equivalent of around 13 and a half pints or 17 bottles of 12 oz beer.
- Slim quarter barrels: As the name suggests, these are slimmed-down versions of quarter barrel kegs. They can hold about seven and a half gallons (60 pints) of beer.
That was all about how much beer is in a keg of each type. We hope you found this article helpful. If you have any questions related to “how much beer is in a keg”, then please feel free to leave a comment below. Keep visiting the Chillbeer.net website for more useful articles like this.