IPA beer is one of the most popular styles of beer in the world. But what is IPA beer exactly? And what makes it different from other types of beer? In this comprehensive guide to India Pale Ale, we will answer all of your questions about this iconic style of brew.
We’ll discuss what is IPA beer, what is IPA beer made from, what its alcohol content typically is, and some of the most famous brands that make IPA beers. So if you’re curious about what is IPA beer, read on!
What is IPA Beer?
IPA beer, short for India Pale Ale, is a type of pale ale that was first brewed in England in the 19th century. The beer was originally made for export to British troops stationed in India, and it quickly became popular among them.
IPA beer is characterized by its hoppy flavor and high alcohol content. It is usually amber or copper in color and has a moderate to high bitterness. This beer is typically made with English hops, which give it a distinctive flavor. Click on this link to know how to make a bong out of a beer bottle.
What is IPA Beer Made From?
IPA beer is made from pale malt, hops, water, and yeast. The pale malt gives the beer its light color, while the hops give it its characteristic bitterness and flavor. The hop flowers are added to the wort (the liquid that is extracted from the mashing of malted grains) during the boil, and they add bitterness and flavor to the beer.
After the wort is boiled, it is cooled and then fermented with yeast. The yeast converts the sugars in the wort into alcohol and carbon dioxide, which gives the beer its characteristic bubbles.
What is IPA Beer Alcohol Content?
IPA beer typically has an alcohol content of between four and seven percent. However, there are some brands that make IPA beer with an alcohol content of up to 12 percent. This is based on the manufacturer’s recipe and brewing process. We also have some great products for the best insulated beer mug for you.
Why is it Called India Pale Ale?
IPA beer was originally made for British troops stationed in India. The beer was brewed with more hops than other styles of beer, which helped to preserve it during the long journey from England to India. The higher hop content also made the beer more bitter, which was a popular flavor among British troops stationed in India. The reason why it is called India Pale Ale is that it was originally brewed for export to India.
Some of the Most Famous Brands that Make IPA Beer
There are many different brands of IPA beer available on the market today. Some of the most famous include:
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- Stone Brewing Co.
- Deschutes Brewery
- Green Flash Brewing Co.
- Lagunitas Brewing Company
Types of IPA Beer
We have already seen what is IPA beer and now let’s see its types. IPA beer comes in many different varieties. Some of the most common include:
- Oat IPA: This type of IPA is brewed with a large proportion of oats, which gives it a creamy texture and mouthfeel.
- Hazy IPA: Hazy IPAs are unfiltered and have a hazy, cloudy appearance. These beers are usually quite fruity and have low bitterness.
- West Coast IPA: West Coast IPAs are characterized by their strong hop presence and high bitterness.
- New England IPA: New England IPAs are hazy and unfiltered, like Hazy IPAs. However, they are usually less fruity and have more of a dank, resinous flavor.
- British IPA: This type of IPA beer is brewed with English hops and has a more moderate flavor than other types of IPA.
- Belgian IPA: This type of IPA beer is brewed with Belgian hops and has a unique flavor that is different from other types of IPA.
- Session IPA: This type of IPA beer has a lower alcohol content than other types of IPA, making it perfect for enjoying during a session (a period of time devoted to drinking).
- Fruited IPA: This type of IPA beer is brewed with fruit, which gives it a unique flavor.
- Sour IPA: This type of IPA beer is made with souring agents such as Lactobacillus or Brettanomyces. It has a tart, sour flavor that is different from other types of IPA.
- Brett IPA: This type of IPA beer is brewed with Brettanomyces, a type of yeast that gives the beer a funky flavor.
These are all different types of IPA beer that you may come across.
Now that you know what is IPA beer, what it’s made from, and what its alcohol content typically is, you’re ready to try one for yourself! Head to your local brewery or beer store and pick up a bottle or can of IPA today. Cheers! Keep visiting our Chill Beer site for more useful articles like this.